Well it has been a while, hasn't it? Our heartfelt apologies for leaving you without your fix for so long. But the Memekast is officially back in action, and to kick off 2009, we brought the HEAT.
Representing Daly City Records in California, we're delighted to present 40 minutes of all new, unreleased material from Mochipet. If you haven't heard of Mochipet through his work with artists like Spank Rock, Kid606, Ellen Alien, and Otto Von Schirach (on such labels as Tigerbeat6, Bpitchcontrol, or his own Daly City imprint), then perhaps you've read about him in the Village Voice, URB, XLR8R, or SF Bay Guardian. Or heard his tracks while you were watching Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, or Ray Barbee on Fuel TV.
Yeah, we didn't exactly discover this guy. But we're honored to share this exclusive set with our listeners.
Also known as David Wang, Mochipet was born in Taiwan ROC to a kindergarten teacher and a rocket scientist. No, we're not making this up. And he got his musical start playing metal guitar. He also has "Way More Badass Than You" tattooed across his chest in dragon's blood. OK, we did make that part up. But if he did, i'm not sure who would argue with him. Unless you've had one of your breakcore tracks played by a 20 piece orchestra in venues like New York's Carnegie Hall and Amsterdam's Holland Festival. Yeah me neither.
For this episode, he presents a sampling of some of the new material he's been using to destroy sound systems and convert nonbelievers. It's a massive thing, spastic but tightly controlled, somewhere between dubstep, glitch hop, ghettotech, and syrup-fueled Southern hip hop. And this shit absolutely lays waste to a dancefloor.
You can catch him along with Montreal's Turbocrunk (Megasoid, Lunice, & Hovatron), Robot Koch from Jahcoozi, Bass Science, and Lazer Sword on January 15 at his new monthly: Bass Camp @ 111 Minna. We're pretty sure this is going to be one of the freshest monthlies of 2009, and expect to see you there, wishing Mochi a happy birthday.
His latest release, Microphonepet, is available from Daly City Records, Amazon, iTunes, etc and features such MC's as Casual (Heiroglyphics), Raashan (Crown City Rockers), Mykah9 (Freestyle Fellowship), and Bicasso (Living Legends).
memekast mk036 » 4 January 2009 » Mochipet
- Mochipet - BossPet - Master P on Atari MixTape
- Mochipet - You Got Your IDM In My DubStep Again! - Master P on Atari MixTape
- Mochipet - Complex Players Dub - Master P on Atari
- Mochipet - NDVendetta - Light The Fuse EP
- Jantsen - Jazzstepa Masher - Unreleased
- Mochipet - It Ain't Trickin If Ya Got It - Master P on Atari
- Mochipet - Master P on Atari - Master P on Atari
- Mochipet - Robo Crunk Juice - Master P on Atari
- Mochipet - Turbo Thizz Petnation - Master P on Atari
- Mochipet - Sumo Hertz - Master P on Atari
- Mochipet - Marshall Bass Stacks vs. Lil Wayne - A Milli - Master P on Atari Mixtape
- Jan 15: Bass Camp @ 111 Minna
- Jan 17: Symbiosis party @ Kelly's Mission Rock
- Feb 6: Chinese New Year @ 1015
- Feb 7: Gem & Jam Tucson Arizona w/ Ghostland Observatory and Prefuse73
- Feb 14: Made In Glitch w/ Megasoid - Tokyo
- Mar 13: Asian American Film Festival @ 111 Minna
- Mar 14: San Antonio TX
- Mar 20: Daly City @ SXSW - San Antonio TX